PROJECT NO. PMLP/PMIF/2018/3 IMPROVEMENT AND DEVELOPMENT OF INFORMATION SYSTEMS AND RELATED PROCESSES IN SUPPORT OF NATURALIZATION
The Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA) in cooperation with the Information Centre of the Ministry of the Interior implements the Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund 2014-2020 national program project “Improvement and Development of Information Systems and Related Processes in Support of Naturalization” which aims to increase the quality of the naturalization process.
Project goal: To increase the quality of the naturalization process
Project implementation period: 09.04.2019. – 30.06.2022.
Funding: EUR 1 101 876 (of which financed from the Fund: EUR 826 407, state budget: EUR 275 469).
The following activities will be implemented in the framework of the project:
- A new Citizenship Acquisition and Loss Information System has been developed.
- Upgraded video surveillance in tests of Latvian language skills and basic provisions of the Constitution of the Republic of Latvia, the text of the national anthem and knowledge of Latvian history.
- A number of measures have been taken to promote the naturalization of third-country nationals and non-nationals:
- Information campaigns on the process of acquiring Latvian citizenship;
- Development of an electronic tool for self-testing of Latvian language skills and knowledge, which will allow applicants for citizenship to test their knowledge before the actual test. The test is planned to be developed for easy use in mobile devices as well.
- Organization of educational seminars for OCMA employees involved in the naturalization process.
- Equipping workplaces for employees working with migration and naturalization issues, purchasing new equipment for playing the listening part of naturalization tests and purchasing web-kiosks for customer halls.
Results to be achieved in the project:
- A new Citizenship Acquisition and Loss Information System has been developed;
- A modern video surveillance system has been installed at the places of naturalization tests;
- Informative campaigns have been implemented on the possibility to acquire Latvian citizenship through naturalization and tests to be performed;
- An electronic tool for testing the language skills and knowledge of acquiring Latvian citizenship has been developed;
- Professional training activities are provided for the parties involved in the naturalization procedure;
- Upgraded workspaces for employees involved in the field of migration and naturalization, purchased web-kiosks and equipment for playing the listening part during the tests;
- New audio recordings have been prepared for the tasks of the listening part of naturalization tests.
Activities completed until 31.12.2020:
- Equipped workplaces for employees working with migration and naturalization issues.
- An agreement has been concluded on the development of an electronic tool for self-examination of language skills and knowledge for becoming a Latvian citizen, and its development is underway.
- The procurement of a design competition for the development of an information system for the acquisition and loss of citizenship has been completed. Further steps are being taken.
- New sets of audio material have been recorded for the audible part of the naturalization test.
- Work is underway to develop procurement documentation for informative campaigns.
Project manager Daina Auziņa-Lopatinska
Tel. +371 67219011
Project coordinator Egija Roze
Tel. +371 67829747
IC IeM contact person:
Information updated on 15.01.2021.